Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

01 November 2009

Weekend Reading Roundup (Sportspacolypse Showdown Sunday Edition)

I stayed in last night. For one, because of the rain delay. For two, because of how today holds the promise of being among the best non-championship-clinching days in the 215's History. Suffice it to say, I haven't gotten -- and won't get -- to the front pages tucked neatly under the crossword puzzle till the morning. Well, afternoon.
But here's a brief round-up of some good tales from today's funnies.
In the spirit of the day, I'll hold forth that the Inquirer crushed the NY Times this time. So suck it, New York.


-- There's not much me and Tigre Hill agree on philosophically. For instance, he likes to note that Ben Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings while I like to retort that he's a rapist who couldn't handle a motorcycle properly if his arms were wrapped around a biker boy's waist. But, I respect his work, and him for having the gumption to follow his vision. The Inky's Amy Rosenberg wrote a piece about his soon-to-be-released flick about Mumia today.
"I have not come out as saying Mumia is guilty, but you can see where it's going," Hill says. "I'm not afraid of these people. There are African Americans who believe what I do, but are hesitant to say. I don't want to make it racial, even though it is racial."

Since he doesn't say it, I will: Mumia should sizzle.


-- Inky's self-admittedly-portly Harold Jackson tears into Bubba, er, sorry, I mean Chris Christie's insistence of whining that Corzine mocked his weight, averring that he'd have -- no pun intended -- more legs to stand on if he was just specific about a single promise he was making.
Like the one in which he'd actually be able to care for a state when he can't even take care of his blubbery self.
WWRSVF? I'll tell you who Richard Simmons would vote for: Anybody but Christie. You should too.


-- You want to know my inherent issue with knee-jerk liberalism? The holier-than-thou bitching and moaning whenever someone is morally opposed to their issue of the week. Like, say, transsexualism. I don't think it's natural. It isn't. That's not to say I would assault, mock or withhold any rights that I -- a straight, married male -- have access to. I wouldn't. But I won't be forced to accept the fact that children confused to the point that boys think they're girls and vice versa is the norm when it's abnormal.
You can't convince a nut-job right-winger that abortions should be performed and you can't convince me that God (or whomever created us) meant for there to be three genders: male, female and take your pick. All that said, boy who considers himself a girl shouldn't have been treated the way he or she says he was treated while in Philadelphia's kiddie jail.
The complaint contends she was physically attacked by other residents and orally abused by staff every day for almost a year and a half. The teen, now 17, is in foster care but is no longer in custody. The Youth Study Center, which was on the Parkway, has been torn down.
"We are seeking the commission to investigate the charges and take appropriate measures to end discrimination and harassment against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered youth," said Flor Bermudez, a lawyer with Lambda Legal in New York City.

Interesting that I didn't pickup any mention of why he or she was in kiddie jail in the first place from Lambda or the story, though. Probably wouldn't help sculpt their victimization approach.


-- RIP, Pete Shellem. You did work that every journalist should aspire to do, instead of sitting in a recliner on a Sunday writing about how the pro-transsexual movement annoys you.

Well, it's 30-7 at the half. Means I'd better start dusting myself off for a Sunday-evening out on the town. Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter