Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

28 November 2009

(Holiday) Weekend Reading Roundup (Part One Edition)


Sure, no gnus is good gnus, but some gnus is entertaining gnus, no? I think so. So, here's a few things me read this weekend.
Like, how Irish Catholic bishops in the homeland covered up kid diddlin'.

Or how aliens are mutilating calves somewhere near Southpark, Colo.

Or how Sen. Bob Casey (whom I've met, and personally like) is trying to toe a fine abortion line.

Or how Q&A "Ask Amy" column appeared in the Inquirer's Black Friday edition ...
Dear Amy: I recently attended a frat party, got drunk and made some bad decisions. I let a guy take me to "his" room because he promised that he wouldn't do anything I wasn't comfortable with.
Many times, I clearly said I didn't want to have sex, and he promised to my face that he wouldn't. Then he quickly proceeded to go against what he "promised." I was shocked, and maybe being intoxicated made my reaction time a bit slow in realizing what was happening.
We were soon kicked out of the room by the guy who lived there.
If I wasn't kicking and fighting him off, is it still rape? I feel like calling it that is a bit extreme, but I haven't felt the same since.
- Victim? in Virginia

Or how Upper Darby slammed a gypsy-looking hit-and-run piglet who left three young lives hanging in the balance with a $1 million bail.

And how former NY Giant Mark Ingram could have been Ashland, Kentucky cellies with T. Milton Street Sr. or Vinnie "Unrepentant Thieving Ladyboy" Fumo ... if only he'd reported to serve time.

(Oh, btw, that pic up top is from this week's Sports Illustrated. It's of IHBA driver Quinten Kight post-eliminator-class-boat crash at Firebird Intl. Raceway in Chandler, Ariz. Credit in the mag goes to Jon Lemoine of US Presswire.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for the person who crashed going 150 MPH at the IHBA World Finals, you got his name wrong. The correct spelling of the racer's name is Quinten Kight. (Pronounced "Kite").

He's my nephew, is an AMAZINGLY good person, serves our country, and is back in the States after his first tour in Iraq. (He'll be going back). The boat was one of the latest built by my brother (Quinten's father), Willie Kight, Jr., and had Quinten not been back, my brother would have been driving it.

My family was absolutely blessed that Quinten lived through that accident. After being medi-vac'd to the hospital and being checked out from head to toe, I find it nothing short of miraculous that the only injury he sustained is that he shattered his right knee.

Quinten inherited his love of very fast things from my brother, and they always shared in such activities as Quinten grew up. I couldn't be more proud of both of them, and couldn't be more grateful that they're both still with us.

Happy Holidays,

Kimberly Kight Stocker

3:22 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Kimberly,
Thanks for the correction. I'll be sure to fix it in the post. Would love to hear more about the crash; could you please drop me a line at brianhickey9 at hotmail dot com? Much appreciated.
Brian

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter