Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

13 August 2009

Welcome to Philly, Michael Vick


In the back of my mind, I thought this might happen. But now that it did, I can say my piece. And that piece is: If you want to protest the fact that Michael Vick has gotten a job in the NFL, be prepared for me to respond with:
"Shame on you. He served his time. I thought the goal of incarceration was rehabilitation, not pure punishment? What's that, you say, the death penalty should be abolished because it isn't a deterrent? Well, I have a bright idea along those lines: Abolish prisons since, as we'll see with the hippie reaction to the Eagles' signing of Vick, incarceration doesn't rehabilitate people. Once you get locked up, you're only as good as the crimes you committed."

No, I don't respect Vick. If you raise dogs to fight, maim and/or kill, you're not good people. On Charlie Dawg's behalf, I loathe him. But he's sure as hell allowed to re-enter society and earn a living. Otherwise, you'd probably just go back to the dog training that you know will fill your pockets with money for day-to-day living.
Oh, and whatchu gonna do they win the Super Bowl this year on the heels of a wildcat play led by Vick?
Thought so.
Now sit down, and shut up.

10 Comments:

Blogger dx said...

there's a huge difference between "being allowed to earn a living" and BEING A FUCKING EAGLE, dude.

for over 25 years studies have consistently shown that people capable of doing to the things that Vick did to animals have deep seated problems psychologically, and you will never convince me that can be undone by little time in jail.

fuck that guy, and fuck everyone who supports him. forever.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Oh, so it's a pre-emptive strike against a potential repeat offender?
The piety astounds me.
Standing by the American standard of prison/punishment-then-second-chance isn't supporting Michael Vick. It's supporting one of the tenets of free society.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous ChihuahuaMom said...

Question: I have noticed a distinct difference in the reactions among my friends on FB; and, I noticed that one of my African American friends called the negative reaction to Vick racist. Trying to decide what I think about that. What are your thoughts?

11:20 AM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

I've bitten my tongue on the issue. But, they have a point.
If it were, say, Brett Favre, I'm sure that PETA would be wailing away on him still - which is their right - but I think the legion of fans doing so would be considerably stronger.
Just like cockfighting is in Latin cultures, I think some African Americans are a bit more in tune with the fact that the fights go on here, today, with little outside attention.
In fact, I knew that some local newsfolks were staking out a spot where they'd heard a former city athlete was involved, but could never prove it.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Would be considerably "smaller," that is. Damn BlackBerry spellcheck.

11:27 AM  
Blogger dx said...

a) i'm not racist, but i was at one point a card-carrying PETA member. mostly reformed, but i might as well cop to it. hey, everyone wants to fit in somehow when they get to college.

b) have you looked at the US prison system lately? you, as a journalist, should know by now that prisons in this country do not in any way, shape or form aim to rehabilitate their tenants. jesus, if that actually happened we would be a hell of a lot better off than we are as a country, and as a state, right now. if you want some links to studies and reports i'll provide them, but i'm pretty sure you've met my friend Google already.

c) if you're so big on the "prison/punishment-then-second-chance" as "one of the tenets of free society" i full expect you to start writing about how unjust, unamerican, and poorly executed Megan's Law and it's ilk are, and arguing just as passionately that sex offenders deserve places in institutions where children can look up to them as heroes, paid high salaries and granted fame, because they did their time and deserve to be treated as if the crime never happened. because, ya know, people disgusted by intense cruelty towards sentient beings who can't defend themselves are all a bunch of whiny unamerican douchebags. right?

9:20 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Good points but why, then, everytime I advocate for the death penalty, do all the cap-pun opponents rely on the "rehabilitation" angle? If the logic holds that the prison system doesn't rehabilitate, executing murderers is then a no-brainer. Further, people should be clamoring for child rapists, dog abusers et al to meet a similar needle fate.
Do I think Megan's Law is wrong? Sometimes, yeah, I do. But I don't have kids. And when I do, I probably wouldn't be comfortable with a convicted kiddie lover living on my block. But the fact that they're branded for life troubles me. I'd made that point clear in writing about my discomfort with watching To Catch a Predator (fine, discomfort amid my gut laughing.)
All I'm saying is, the "whiny unamerican douchebags" can't have it both ways. Either brand all criminals for life and don't let them reacclimate to society after they serve their time, or quit bitching about executions effecting the chance to rehabilitate.
Sorry for rambling.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

(And sorry for not noticing your comment for 15 hours. I didn't get an email alert that it was pending approval.)

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calling Big Ben a Rapist but accepting a convicted fellon with open arms? Allegations aren't proven yet. Vick has been convicted! I just thank the Eagles Management for once again adding to the reasons I picked the right team in PA.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Um, ok. Congratulations?
(For future reference, there's only one "L" in felon. And, though it looks like the lady is making rape out of a consentual act she bragged about, have fun cheering along side inbreds who threaten her to drop the charges or she'll get hurt.)

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter