Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

17 August 2009

Ties to AC?

First thing that crossed my mind when I read an AP story about the nine women who've been found murdered/gone missing in and around Rocky Mount, NC was this: Hmm, wonder if that's the same guy who killed four prostitutes in Atlantic City in 2006. I was working on a follow-up piece to those killings before I got hit-and-ran; it's back on my front burner now.
After the latest body, that of 31-year-old Jarneice Hargrove, was found in June behind a burned-out house that was once a crack den, local law enforcement and state police formed a task force. In July, the Federal Bureau of Investigation got involved.
But friends and family say it did not happen soon enough.
“We got someone out here that’s snatching up females,” said Stephanie Jones, 28, a nursing student. “I mean, the next person could be your grandmother, it could be me, it could be my mother, it could be my daughter.”
Ms. Jones, who knew two of the victims, has founded a group that is raising money to publicize the killings and search for those still missing. She says the cases are being swept under the rug because of the victims’ lifestyles.

Just spoke with Stephanie and she thought that the added attention might lead some to grab just about any suspect off the street just to close the case. I, and she, and we all, hope that's not the case.
She also said the survivors of several victims will be on the Tom Joyner Radio Show tomorrow between 8:45 and 9 a.m. That's, I believe, 107.9 FM locally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter