Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

25 July 2009

Two Songs I Recently Downloaded (With Two Movie-Trailers I Want To See Edition)

So, I was watching Jimmy Kimmel Live last night. Though I wholeheartedly endorse his post-Roseanne style, I fast-forwarded through the Tom Arnold interview abt. 44 minutes to get to the reason I DVRd it: Randy, Julian and Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys were on. In character. Randy copped to growing the best herb in Canada and probably America. Julian was there with rum-and-coke glass (he said once he'd been given a death diagnosis, he reached for a video crew to record their lives) and Bubbles, well, Bubbles was just Bubbles.

Post-TPB, though, caught a band I hadn't heard of but had heard their Novacaine for the Soul song before. Didn't much like that song. But what they played on the Kimmel stage, behind son-of-quantum-theory-physicist Hugh Everett III/lead singer's Mark Oliver Everett's weighty beard? Totally dug it enough to wake up and download them:
"My Beloved Monster" and "Tremendous Dynamite." TD has something along the lines of a Thorogood feel. But with controlled yelling. Which is cool. What's cooler? A line of the Wikipedia page:
Rightly or wrongly, he has a reputation as a troublemaker. The Eels official website claims that Everett responded to a request for a quote for the dust jacket to Kurt Cobain's posthumously published diaries with: "Please don't do this to me after I kill myself."

And now, I present Jennifer's Body (for the purpose of seeing Megan Fox burn her tongue, of course)...



and Tony Manero (because a Travolta-character-act-alike contest movie is the raddest f'in thing I've ever heard of, next to Megan Fox burning her tongue, of course).

Maravillosamente extrana, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter