Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

08 July 2009

My hundredth-second of Pitt-fame

Yesterday, I got an email from a Jason Cato of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Saw my post about 12:34:56 a.m. (or p.m.) 07/08/09. Wanted to write about it. I made the point that sure, we can talk, but you gotta know that I wasn't the one that thought of the lineup of the century.
Well, we talked.
And, he wrote. (Naturally, I worked the Cubs into the conversation.)
The quirkiness of today caught the attention of at least one blogger, Philadelphia-based freelance writer Brian Hickey, who noted the rarity on his blog, Philly Blunt.
"I thought it was just quirky," Hickey said. "For one-hundredth of a second, the world is different than it ever has been, at least for 100 years."
Pondering the rarity of 07-08-09, Hickey's curiosity led him to learn the first minor-league baseball game played under lights happened a century ago today.
The thought of 1909 led to his beloved Chicago Cubs, who began a World Series championship drought that year.
"I used it as a mechanism to say the Cubs are going to win this year," Hickey said. "I'm looking for anything I can get."
Then he realized Pittsburgh won its first World Series in 1909.
"Maybe the Pirates will win it," he said.
His voice sounded as though even he didn't believe that added up.

That last line? Spot on.

Go Cubs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter