Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

02 July 2009

Marine Place

That, dear readers, is the name of the street on which my HTHS friends and I basically ravaged a house in the summer of 1991. We played a game named Monkey. Monkey involved winging bottles at one another as hard as one could. Inside. One time, a window got busted. I was a prime suspect. To this day, I deny the window-breaker came from mine hand.
But, I don't deny playing with fire inside. Burnt out a whole back wall while torching the guy who would become the Best Man in my wedding with hairspray and Zippo. We covered it up with bumper stickers. About a hundred of them.
Nor do I deny, along with Johnny Rock and Dave Hoff, going out to a place on the Somers Point Circle we called the "Shangri Rah" to buy booze with my fake ID. (I can still see and hear the clerk, an Asian fella, respond to our request for a specialty item by saying, "Braff Monkey! Ohhh nonononono. We no have any BRAFF MONKEY.")
I had nothing to do with putting the five-foot hole in the wall. That was a guy who'd rather jump through a wall-hole to get into his bedroom. The hole was less than a foot from the door.
Good times.
Till the lawsuit.
I say this to offer my Jersey Shore experience from the early nineties. Clearly, you will notice that I was not one of these people (H/T for the Gawker link from Chihuahua Mom)

5 Comments:

Blogger AnastasiaBeaverhousen said...

holy shit, the Chinese place on the circle!!! The Pearl or Jade Pearl......LOL Brings back memories. Dog ribs and Mai Tais at 17, doesn't get any better than that!!!!!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Mai Tais, but no Braff Monkey. I can only imagine we'd have torn the house to the ground if they did have it.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous ChihuahuaMom said...

I'm honored! :-) Thanks for the shout out - I thought you'd dig the link. Also: it's different every night. It's different. :-P

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jen A. Miller said...

Funny thing is? Preps at the Whiterbrier in Avalon weren't dressed much different than this. Apparently, wearing neon is ironic to Mainliners (though I still wanted to smack the guy in a Dolce and Gabana visor).

9:34 AM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Sadly, I don't think it's an ironic move. Most of the rich-kid shoobies who flock to that island in the summer are living-and-breathing scrotes. At least, that's what I found during my year-round time there.
D and G visors? I rest my case.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter