Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

16 July 2009

Five Songs I've Recently Downloaded (Including a twofer from a band I had never heard of before)

1. "Bread & Water," Ryan Bingham. What's that you say, country music's too slack-jawed yokel for y'all? Listen to this song and if you can still say that, my proverbial cowboy hat's off to yous. Bingham sounds like he just gargled a shot of Raspermeister. That's a good thing.


2. "Percussion Gun," White Rabbits. Forgive me if I like drums and the associated clapping a bit too much. I gotta hear some more from these guys. They're tight.


3. "Come Back to Me," Janet Jackson. Just goes to show you how far I've inflated what Janet's Rhythm Nation was that a cheesy ballad I probably danced to at a winter cotillion of some sort was the track that jumped off the iTunes at me. But, I liked it then, and I like it now. What does that say about me? I need cleansing with a non-CBTM video.

Ah, that's better.

4 and 5. "Get Better" and "My Only Offer," Mates of State. An intriguing prospect, the whole get married and play music together thing. Well, that's what Kori Gardner and Jason Hammel did. I'd call these tracks a deeper pop, if pop can be deeper than an above-ground pool. If not, I'd need to spend some time thinking of another way to describe them other than to just say, "They're good. You should check 'em out." (First song's a little slower; second is perky, as if they sprinkled just a few B-52 jimmies atop the scoop.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

They did the At&t commercials. I think the song is called "for the actor." Nice song!
-dave

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter