Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

05 June 2009

Two Songs I Downloaded This Week (and one that I've had for a while but have listened to 10 times this week)

Yeah, it was chicks with rock bands week, or singers with dude lead singers who sound like chicks. Don't know why. Worked out rather well for both me and the bride, though, since we both apparently dig chicks with rock bands, or bands with dude lead singers, oh, you get the idea.

3. "Bet You Wish You Had Me Back," Halestorm. I figured I'd give this York-ish, Pennsy band a shot. This one feels like a Kelly Clarkson non-pop ditty, but I think they have a harder edge as well. Plus, the band pic makes it seem as if they have one Hoon, two Nosferatus and a lead singer named Lzzy Hale. And, who am I to question that collection of folk? They'll be down at the pier off Spring Garden on July 30.


2. "Lazy Eye," Silversun Pickups. This one's smooth and then turns yellie, in a good way. Sure, it's remniscent of 90s female-lead bands with a couple hits but then disappeared from my consciousness so as not to be able to name them anymore. (I keep hearing a song that has "Can't stop the..." fever or something else in my head. Was that Garbage? The Breeders?) But then, I see the video and I'm all like, "Ohhhhh, it's actually like dude-sounds-like-chick-at-first Jane's Addiction, but poppier. Nice." Apparently I'm only three years late on this one! (Though I got "Panic Switch," too. And that's, like, newer.) Rad. They'll be at All Points West in Jersey City on Aug. 2.

1. "If I Ever Leave This World Alive," Flogging Molly. Note to the world: This is the song I want played at my funeral. I think that says enough, right? No? Fine, here are the lyrics...
If I ever leave this world alive
I'll take on all the sadness
That I left behind
If I ever leave this world alive
The madness that you feel will soon subside
So in a word don't shed a tear
I'll be here when it all gets weird
If I ever leave this world alive

1 Comments:

Anonymous LM said...

I wish more people on Philly liked Silversun Pickups.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter