Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

16 June 2009

Money Quotes from the Glambert Coming-Out Print Party

By now, every last one of you has heard about almost-Idol Adam Lambert confirming what we've all known all along. Not that there's anything ... stop it, Christ, that line's overused to the point of beyond hack. Well, here's the thing: I'm sure not many folks actually get Rolling Stone like me does, so I read the piece in entirety. A couple impressions:
-- He has much more depth than the show let him, well, show.
-- He has much more borderline-cockiness than he let the show, well, show. (Not a bad thing; just a random observation.)
Well, a couple Glambert quotes jumped off the page to me in the way that I used to grab "pull quotes" for alt-weekly stories (you know, the graphics of the bigger quotes on each page or so.) Here are 11 of them:
1) The LA club scene "was negative and really dark, all about cocaine and synthetic-ego bullshit. I was getting bitter. I was looking for something, and I wasn't sure what it was."

2) At Burning Man, "I had a psychedelic experience where I looked up at the clouds and went, 'Oh!' I realized that we all have our own power, and whatever I wanted to do, I had to make happen."

3) "I was so excited [about the Kiss performance]. I was like, 'I'm going to glue rhinestones on my eyelids, bitch! That's right, American Idol in platform shoes. You ain't voting anymore."

4) "I loved it this season when the girls went crazy for me. As far as I'm concerned, that's just hot Just because I'm not sticking it in there doesn't mean I don't find it beautiful."

5) AI "is so pageant."

6) "I wasn't after the title. I was after staying on the platform as long as I could, and I did that."

7) "I've only dressed in drag three or four times -- and of course I took pictures because I looked amazing -- but I don't tuck and wear breasts, that's not me."

8) "On the way home [from a high-school play, my mom] asked, 'Do you have a girlfriend?' I said, 'No.' She said, 'Do you have a boyfriend?' I said, 'No.' She was like, 'Do you want one?' I said, 'Yes, that would be nice.' Suddenly it was like a wall dropped and we started gabbing like crazy."

9) "I don't believe in Hell. Maybe you're rewarded for being a good person, but I don't think you're punished."

10) "I'm not asking to get married in your church, but you don't have any right to tell me I can't do it."

11) "I'm trying to be a singer, not a civil-rights leader."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter