Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

12 June 2009

The Journey


I'm closer than ever to my goal of matching Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Ted Levine, Paul Newman and Marlon Brando in the annals of acting history. Is it my enormous shoulders? My presence in a room forcing everyone to stop and look and whisper, "Oh. My. God. It's. Brian. Hickey!!!" The fact that my take on Meth Gay Guy tops that of gay meth guys?
Nope, I'm just clearly unable to shake this Kadeobsession, even in posts entirely unrelated to anything about Rittendouche Squares. It's starting to frighten me. As it should be, you.
Thankfully that there graphic up top represents a development that very well may help ease me back toward blogging about the normal people side of the aisle. Yep, a new outlet. Philebrity.com, which is run by dude/friend-of-a-decade Joey Sweeney with whom I worked at Philadelphia Weekly way back when I came up to the big city from A.C. His is a site that I regularly check since it meshes with the gossipy semi-obnoxious but newsy side of my personality.
When he called asking if I wanted to write, the answer came easily. He hit the reason why, spot-on, in his intro:
Knowing full well that if he drained those salty balls in any of the other publications he writes for, he’d get canned straight away, we offered Hickey a place to, uh, take care of all of that. And to our shock and delight, he graciously accepted.

The first of many rant topics: the future of print journalism. Hope you enjoy it as much as I savored the title tie-in to my hero (and favorite interview ever) Luther Campbell.

2 Comments:

Blogger AnastasiaBeaverhousen said...

Congrats on your first rant. I have to say, no matter how many "news" sites are bookmarked in my favorites, I still don't consider myself updated on the days news until I read the paper. If the long heralded demise of print news happens, I have no idea how I will get to work because I cannot fathom taking the train without the Inquirer. Interacting with my fellow commuters is NOT an option - hence my beloved broadsheet....

Great "My Bodyguard" reference......what ever happened to Clifford besides Meatballs???

9:09 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Much obliged!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter