Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

27 May 2009

Wednesday Roundup

I gots me a ton of stuff to do (i.e. Real Housewives post on nj.com; put the finishing touches on a Men's Health article) before the 2:45 p.m. tapoff of Barca/ManU (3-2, Barca) so this'll be short and sweet/sour. First allow me to say that Philly Mag has clearly tapped into a vein with its great decision to turn a writer loose on the Kademeister. I insist you buy a physical copy at the newsstand for $4.99; you'll want to have it even after the machines rise up and take over. Why do I say that? Oh, because this blog as gotten nearly 1,000 hits since I posted about it yesterday afternoon. For context, that's more views than anyday after people heard I was just about dead at Cooper. I don't know how I should feel about that.
In any event, I also have a column in the Metro today...
I waited to call Seth Williams until a few days after he trounced four Democratic opponents who pined for the “next district attorney of Philadelphia” title. It was ample time, I thought, to decompress after his five-year mission reached near-apex, despite the challenges that accompany being outspent two-to-one and outslimed five-to-none.


I watched what could be the last episode of Reaper last night. It was good. But it was bittersweet because the show is on the cancellation chopping block. When I made mention of my hellacious fury over that fact last week, someone called ReaperDMV -- nice touch, if you know the show -- commented to turn my attention to a campaign to keep it on the air. If you believe in anything just and good, you'll check it out and take action.
And, finalamente, I received a press release from the Delaware River Port Authority about their "Public Safety Officer Annual Awards Ceremony" that start at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow. Immediately, I started wondering who would take the prestigious "Officer who bravely stops SpeedLine passengers from driving off from the Collingswood station hammered so they wouldn't hit, oh, someone named Brian."
The answer: Nobody, because that's not a priority. Though, taking reward posters down at their stations most certainly is. Ba-dum-bum.
Hickey, OUT.

6 Comments:

Blogger ReaperDMV said...

Thanks Brian, for helping out the show. Please feel free to join us at http://reaperdmv.com if you'd like to converse with other Reaper fans. We'd love to have you.

And wow! 1300 hits! Niiiice.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't comprehend how Philly mag could do a profile on this person and expect to maintain any shred of credibility. The writer would have had to start the piece very shortly after "Keade's" "the journey" began. None of it makes any sense.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem like a straightforward guy, so I want to ask a question: what is with Philly Chit Chat? It is so poorly written and sloppily done, is the person behind it to be taken seriously? He/she seems to be in cahoots with Kade, which is just astonishing.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

I've always found Hugh to be a decent guy. He just carved a niche out of snapping shots of people when they were out on the town. Turned into something for him to sell a few pics to papers and land freelance gigs. The site? Well, yeah, it's kind of hard to navigate but he's a decent person just doing what he likes and posting it online. Take him seriously? Well, I wouldn't put Chit Chat in a Pulitzer category but he does get some decent shots. Is he in Kade-hoots? Well, he does put his photos up, but I think Hugh's in cahoots with shooting anybody that people may want to look at.
All that translated: He's harmless, just another guy looking to build a contact base and make a buck.
As for the Kade piece, I have to admit: If I was still at City Paper or the Weekly, I'd have seen him as a cover subject. Of course, if I wrote it, I'd have absolutely decimated him whereas Philly Mag gave him a little bit of wiggleroom to protect his feelings.
With Kade, I'd have had zero care for his well-being. I'd have sought and destroyed.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos on shitshat aren't bad, it's just that there are too many and it gets boring. Add all the badly written copy, some of which is obviously copied from promotional material and copied and pasted (sometimes more than once), and it's too easy to mock. A lot of that could be overlooked if he wasn't so sympathetic to Kade. Plus, he deletes negative comments but responds to them. I really like your site, probably the best thing to come from looking at kade.com the past few months.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

I may be wrong, but I don't think Hugh has any formal journ-education. Not that that's worth dick these days, but I think he's just gone public with his hobby. Or not. Who knows.
The Kade sympathy is a bit troubling, though. I think he's a plague on Philadelphia, even the NE, and that's a hard place to be a pariah. Can't fault you for questioning anybody with Kade ties. Especially that blond scrote in the MoFaux video. He's a fucking cover "artist" yet Kade thinks he's great. He must be stopped.
I appreciate the kind words about my page, though. Just a place to ramble on about absurdities.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter