Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

28 May 2009

I'm no Arthur Kade...

... and for that, I'm thankful. Very, very thankful, since that means nobody I'm related to offers to perform abortions on co-workers.
But, like I'd mentioned the other day, I too have a story in the June issue of Philly Mag.

No, I didn't focus on my "enormous shoulders," my friend's just-plain-horrible cover band named MoFaux, the Kade Korner at Cosi, or the inevitability of me besting Christian Bale and Russell Crowe in an act-off.
Rather, I focused on, you know, getting run over by a car, put into a coma so my brain could get back to normal-size and struggling to learn to walk, think and talk again. Little stuff like that, not even comparable to what Kade's gone through, I'm sure. You can read the full story here. That picture up top? Ryan Donnell took it, among many great shots he got at the corner when I was mowed down on Nov. 28. His site's ryandonnell.com. With me (and my neat-o hair part) is the first person who made sure to help save my life.
College student Michael Freeman saw the taillights of a “dark sports car, navy blue or black.” When his pit bull, Candy, kept barking at the window, he went outside.
“I found you lying on your stomach, just moaning, bleeding,” says Freeman, who noticed 15 feet of skid marks and called 911.

I'll never be able to find the words to tell Michael and everybody else how thankful I am. Hope you enjoy the story. But don't worry, I know my voyage back from the brink of death in no way compares to "The Journey" Kade is on.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading about your ordeal, but I just know that it won't be as "genuine" as the pureness and dedication that is Kades' "journey."

ShillyShitShat is now moderating her comments, which is heeelarious. Poor thing needs to develop amazingly thick skin like Kade has. Maybe swallowing more of Kade's jizz will help.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

It's hard out there now. I mean, Arthur has really raised the bar for what qualifies as a compelling story. I couldn't -- nay -- shouldn't purport to have gone through even what a day of "The Journey" makes you deal with. It was be as pressure-packed as what that lady went though while working for Artie's papa-san.
He better not moderate comments that deal with Kade, though. He'll be forever sullied in The Journey's eyes.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous VegasGirrl said...

Hey Brian!

I just read your story...WOW! Ok, please don't think I'm some weirdo, but I really, really want to give you a big hug. I know that I have no idea who you are, but still, what happened to you got me all teary-eyed. I am very glad to hear you recovered quite nicely. Thank the sweet Lord! Guess He has some plans for you. Also, I hope they catch that @!*& who did this to you. That's bullshit! But you're right, Karma does take care of everyone and that @!*& will be answering for what they've done!
I can't imagine what your wife went through. I want to give her a hug too!
Sorry for gettin' all "girlie" on you. Amazing story with a great outcome. And you can still continue to write. I'm sure that means everything to you. Thanks for sharing Brian....may God keep protecting you!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Ha! No worries, Vegas. It's much appreciated, especially since it's coming from someone in my favorite city on earth. (I go out annually for the NCAA basketball tourney first weekend. Well, except this year. The story kind of interfered!)
I'd like to catch the person, sure, but it's not dictating how I live my life. I'll be just fine if it takes them burning in Hell to get my revenge.
It really was harder on Bride Hickey than it was on me, though. I don't remember the pain, but she had to suffer and see me suffer. That's what pisses me off.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous VegasGirrl said...

Well Brian, you can come live out here and I will go back to S. Jersey! (I have been here 15 years and still hate it!)
I'm sure it was a horrendous experience for your wife. I couldn't imagine having to go through that. I freak out when my hubby comes home with stitches from his work (construction). I would assume that this has drawn you both closer?
I have also thought about "what if that was me - what would I do if I came face to face with that person" question. Really tough one. I think the first reaction would be extreme rage and violence. But, is that really the appropriate response? I wonder if that person is living in a mental hell of guilt every day? That's a wrong that can never be corrected.
Anywho, I also like your style of writing. I guess this was the only good thing I got from stupid Kade's website.....a link to yours!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Nah, I couldn't handle the big city now. I think the only mental hell that person is feeling is a fear of getting caught. Which really isn't punishment enough for me (at least when let the angry side take control for a little while)!
Much appreciated (the writing compliment). I've found Kade has brought me new readers, which is ironic and great at the same time!

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter