Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

15 February 2009

My return to print

I mean, sure, the whole Hickey-gets-hit-by-car-and-almost-dies story has been told by just about every media outlet in the city. And I truly appreciate it, because it meant a lot to the people who care about me and want the hit-and-run driver captured.
But, Monday marks the first time I've written a column about anything in the two months and just about three weeks since.



If I may get a little emotional here, once I woke up from the coma and realized something very bad had happened to me, I worried about my wife, dad and family first. Then, I was certain that I'd lost the ability to write, and it broke my spirits more than not being able to move my right arm or leg did. Baby steps turned into healthier steps, though. Sure, I'm not back to full Hickey force yet, but hopefully these Metro columns show that I'm on the road to total recovery.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gue said...

Hickey - I am very proud of you and your blazing comeback trail...it's even more impressive than Nixon's comeback after the election of 1960, when he political career was given up for dead!

I specifically used a Republican reference here because:

1. You'd expect nothing less,
2. You are indeed a miracle, and
3. When I walked into your hospital room, I could tell you were going to come all the way back. And this tells me you are.

I'm proud to call you a friend, and I hope we someday find the bastard who did this.

When I come back, I owe you a drink at Krupa's...whatever you're drinking these days.

Marc

9:45 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Mark,
Many thanks. It feels good to have been able to write less than three months later. A miracle, really. Now I just need to get through this so I can order a Miller Lite. I may hold off on the Jagers, though. Oh, who am I kidding?

Brian

8:08 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm amazed you're recovering so quickly. Hope they find the driver.

-Rebecca VanderMeulen
(Rebecca Bellville as a CP intern summer of '04)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Brian Hickey said...

Many thanks, Rebecca. Hope you're well!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter