Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

12 February 2009

I love PATCO, I love PATCO not


When I was growing up on the mean streets of Haddon Township, NJ, me and the bad kids I consorted wit' would often jump on the High Speed Line and head across the Bridge to the Gallery or the even badder-ass Echelon Mall.
It was also my transportation to Jersey, where I had my last drink at the Collmont, which is what immediately came to mind when good-pal Jen Miller IMd me on Facebook to say she was writing a story for NJ Monthly about 40 years of the silver train. And here's what was said in the article:

The DRPA added security cameras to PATCO stations after Christine Lynn Eberle was abducted from the Ferry Avenue station stop’s parking lot and murdered in 2001. Recently, journalist Brian Hickey was struck by a hit-and-run driver near the Collingswood PATCO station as he was walking to catch a train home to Philly. Hickey suffered a coma, and he’s still missing two parts of his skull.
A train had arrived in the station just before Hickey was struck. It could have helped in the police investigation to check the PATCO cameras for clues about who got off that train and into a car—except the cameras weren’t operational.
Hickey described his outrage to me last week. “I think it's putrid, in the wake of the Eberle case, that passenger safety is still a secondary concern to PATCO.”


Now, the Eberle family has gone through much more pain than me and my family. Substantially more. But the fact remains that PATCO vowed to change its act after she was brutally murdered and, since the cameras weren't working the night I got hit, they truly failed to live up to the promise they made.
Putrid, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter