Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

30 January 2009

Gandhi removed from office

The worst part about being in a two-week coma? Well, it ain't the dreams, that's fo sure. I found myself, at different times, in an underground fun-science factory in the Lower Northeast part of Philly and at a roadside Texas bar with the full cast of Friday Night Lights. So, no, that is not it at all.
Here's what it is: The fact that I missed out on all the Blagojevich fun!
(And Fumo's physical and mental unraveling, too. But that's for another time, when he proves multiple people's theory that he's just a-searchin' for a medical deferrment from the pokey. For obvious reasons. This trial wrecked 'em? Rectum? Damn near killed 'em.)
So, I'm at a loss to comprehend just why the silly lil Illinois legislature voted 59-0 to have him removed from office all because he (allegedly) tried to sell a U.S. Senate seat. But I'm keen-minded enough to know that when this dude ...

Photo from the New York Times

... says (on the Today show) ...

I thought about Mandela, Dr. King, Gandhi, and trying to put some perspective in all of this.


... that I'd have been forced to stop championing the return of Pat "Hookers, Blow and Get Crazy With" O'Brien and carry the torch for Blago! But, alas, the scumbag hit-and-run driver who didn't have the balls to fess up to mowing me down and leaving me for dead had other plans.
And that's what left me mourning today when I read, on the front page of the Inquirer, that Middletown Officer Chris Jones, 37, was killed while conducting a traffic stop on a notoriously bad Route 1 in Bucks County. He died of head injuries. And it's a tragedy.
"This is the saddest day of my 51-year career," said Middletown Police Chief Frank McKenna, who had been scheduled to retire today. "I can't speak for the department, but for me it is like losing a son."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter