Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

05 November 2008

Why I'm Personally Responsible for Barack's Victory


(Photo from NYT)

Now, I'm not going to sit here and try to tell you that I was probably the first print journalist in America to endorse President-Elect Barack H. Obama's 2008 candidacy for the White House.
Rather, I am going to sit here and tell you that I probably was the first journalist to endorse Barack Obama for President. Seriously. Well, sort of.
Exhibit A, doubter, is this Nov. 4, 2004 story from the Philadelphia City Paper, where I worked at the time. In the aftermath of the Kerry loss, at around 5:40 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2004, I wrote:

... remember: In 1,459 days, vote Obama.


I didn't realize 63,507,799 people were listening, but thank the Sweet Lord Jebus that they were.
As for the other 56,151,858 of you, what gives? Might have to put all y'all on a sled to Wasilla. And speaking of Wasilla, I gotta say Sarah was looking mighty, mighty fine in them jeans she wore to vote. You betcha God blesses her crazy lil evolution-hatin' heart.





(Photos from Anchorage Daily News, one of the publications my staff regularly puts in front of me to read)

Oh, my point. Mr. President, if you're reading -- and let's face it, you are -- might I nominate myself for some sort of Secretary of Pimpitude cabinet position? The ball's in your court now. Do the right thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter