Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

10 September 2008

Latest freelance piece; Hammer Attack arrest


(Photo of Romo crying serves as brief preview of the looming Monday Night showdown)

Back in 2000, I headed up from the idyllic life as a Sea Isle year-round local and took a job at Philadelphia Weekly. T'wasn't easy; it's hard to want to leave the oceanside, fo sho. I only mention this because 1) this is the first summer since 1996 that I didn't set foot in Cape May County and 2) I have my first, of what will likely be many, freelance piece in thee old paper. Here's the link and here's an excerpt:

“It didn’t seem like he was directing anything at us at first so I decided to go put a couple songs on the jukebox so we could tune him out,” Chongolola recalls. “When I got close, he said, ‘Look at the fucking monkey.’”
Nestor asked the man if he had a problem. “Then, the guy got up and tried to choke David,” Chongolola alleges. “He said, ‘This is my f’in place; I’ll do what I want.’ He was spewing every last racial slur I’ve ever heard.”


Yeah, really nice.



In other news, the dude who decided to wail away on someone with a ball peen hammer on the SEPTA orange line the other night turned himself in to a local looney bin. And the victim, a 20-year-old lab tech at Penn, was shockingly OK enough to get interviewed on the news last night. I swear to Christ I thought he was gonna die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter