Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

12 June 2008

Did The Goat rear its ugly head?

I think it was either 1995, 1996, or 1997. A fuzzy era, cut me some slack. In any event, I was over in London visiting an old college roommate on spring break. It was about a 20 minute train ride from downtown, going right passed (what I think was) the factory over which a pig flies on Pink Floyd's Animals cover, as best I recall.



So, the roommate had some flatmates over there who all happened to be South African. Good dudes, on first blush. Well, like we did every single night of the trip, we went out to the pubs one night, and the South Africans came with us. There, they decided they were going to share a little culture with us Americans.
Hence, they wanted to show us how to play a drinking game of theirs called GOAT. It worked like this:
Phase 1) Somebody says "Goat."
Phase 2) All players must, how do I say this tenderly, oh, screw it: all players must attempt to piss their pants on the spot, which happened to be in the middle of a packed bar.
Phase 3) The loser, the last person to do so (or refuse) must buy a round.
From that day forward, I've known, in the pit of my heart that South Africans are the craziest people on earth. (Full disclosure: I lost.)

But why do I bring this up today? Oh, because of the Chicago Cubs of course. Everywhere I've gone lately, people have found it necessary to comment on how great the Cubs are looking. And everytime, I've said, "Yep, but it's all going to come crumbling down, believe me."
Well, some might be saying that the curse of a different goat reared its head last night when Alfonso Soriano broke a finger after getting hit by a pitch from Atlanta Brave Jeff Bennett last night. (Remember that name, jinxsters.) One of the biggest sparkplugs on the squad, Soriano's out for about six weeks it seems.



So, is this the end of the road for the mighty Cubs, who have the league's best record at 42-24 going into this afternoon's game?
Man, I don't know. I doubt it. I mean, they have a heck of a lot going for them right now, as they hit on all cylinders whether it be hitting, pitching or clubhousing. But I'm worried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter