Philly Blunt

Freelance writer. Editor and web-video producer. Former Atlantic City Press and Philadelphia Weekly staff writer, City Paper managing editor/columnist and Dougherty for Senate campaign manager. Comments welcome here or emailed to brianhickey9 [at] hotmail. Now on: Facebook (Brian Hickey, in Philly) Twitter at www.twitter.com/brianhickey Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/people/brianhickey/. Be sure to check out Hickey on Divorce Court: divorcecourting.blogspot.com.

28 May 2008

Getting back in the swing



Thanks to uber-Sulz, I got to check out my second and final game at Yankees Stadium the night before taking off for Montreal (a place I'll be writing about later in the week). Pretty good seats, huh? Even if you hate the Yanks, like I do, the place is worth checking out before it meets the wrecking ball. Apparently those second-rowers will go for $2500 a seat in the new jawn.
Anyway, here are a couple of cool pieces I've read upon my return.

Haven't caught the new Indy yet (I will, swear), but a cool piece about the greatest bartender in the history of film, Marion Ravenwood. (Also, the Inky has a worthwhile one about archaelogists getting some props on account of Dr. Jones, lady.)

"On Wednesday, as oil passed $133 a barrel, members of the Senate Judiciary Committee vented their wrath on oil industry executives. The day before, it was the turn of the Senate’s Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee to get into the act. Of course, Big Oil has drawn populist ire ever since the days of John D. Rockefeller and the muckrakers. And in an election year, with gas prices passing $4 a gallon, attacking the energy industry is a can’t-lose proposition."

According to the Inquirer's Michael Klein, my friends down at the Irish Pub in A.C. settled their lawsuit with my friend Larry Platt's Philly Mag. If I were still a working journalist, I'd do a little digging to get the terms. But I'm not, so I won't.

And finally, probably the most interesting story I've ever read about womens' sports, digging into the odd angle that the lady playas are much less likely to forgive a man playa's anti-team transgressions. It's all based on U.S. soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo's not-open-arm-greeted return to the squad.

It was difficult returning to the national team last fall, Solo said. She nearly quit the sport, having lost her desire to play. She holed up in her home in Seattle, felt depressed and lost 10 pounds because of the stress. She felt tension in the hallways at the team hotel and during meals.

Previously, one of her closest friends was defender Cat Whitehill. No longer. According to Solo, Whitehill’s response to her explanation was, “I think you’re trying to get sympathy because of your dad’s death.”

Whitehill was not made available for this article by a team spokesman.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free html visitor counters
hit counter